Adopting a Pet
Our Adoption Process
Please complete our adoption application. Your completed application will help us match the best suitable pet for your family and lifestyle. Click here to complete an adoption application.
It is our policy to thoroughly review each application and conduct an interview either in person or by phone. We will check vet and personal references and may ask for a home visit. Please understand that the Humane Society of Union County must make the best decision for all of the rescue animals that we take in.
Out of state and long distance adoptions are allowed and we may ask the new family to assist with the coordination and offer financial support of the travel expenses of the pet to your location. If we receive multiple applications on a pet, if approved, the local applicant will take priority.
Our Adoption Fee
Our adoption fee for a dog or puppy is $195.
Our fee includes spay or neuter and age appropriate vaccines.
Our adoption fee for a cat or kitten is $85.
Our fee includes spay or neuter and age appropriate vaccines
Our animals come from local shelters, rescues and owner surrenders. We provide medical attention needed, update vaccines and attend to other medical needs before they are ready for adoption.
Available Pets with Humane Society of Union County can be found on our Available Pets webpage.
- Must be 25 years of age or older
- If renting, must have landlord approval and show proof of pet fee/deposit paid
- Must agree to yearly vet visits, including heartworm test and vaccinations (distemper/parvo and rabies required)
- Must agree to give monthly heartworm prevention year round
- Must agree to keep microchip in rescue’s name
- Must agree to return adopted animal to Humane Society of Union County if cannot keep any longer
- Must provide proof of spay/neuter if the surgery is performed after the adoption process. This only applies to puppies and kittens under 4 months.
You will be asked to sign the adoption contract when you adopt your pet. The contract outlines an agreement between the Humane Society and the new pet owner. You can view our contract online.
The contract is not to be completed by the pet owner, but it will be filled out by our staff, for the new pet owner to sign.
Thank you for your interest in adopting from the Humane Society of Union County!
We also have our pets listed on Adopt-A-Pet
We have several options to contact Humane Society of Union County
Complete the “Contact Us” form
PO BOX 101, Monroe NC 28111
If your interested in fostering, please fill out our fostering application. Thank you for your interest in fostering.